DHA Service Center

​If you are receiving CalFresh, Medi-Cal, CalWORKs, Homeless Assistance, or General Assistance from the Department of Human Assistance and would like to speak about your case or apply for benefits, please call our Service Center toll-free number:


or visit the statewide customer online portal at:


At the BenefitsCal you will be able to apply for benefits online, view your case status, check EBT balance, upload documents, report changes, renew benefits, sign up for alerts and more. 

DHA Service Center staff are available to assist you with your program needs over the phone and answer questions. When calling, just select a corresponding program such as CalFresh, Medi-Cal, General Assistance, etc. If you are receiving CalWORKs and/or Homeless Assistance, please select CalWORKs to be connected to the correct queue and speak to a worker about your issue.