Department of Human Assistance Benefits

The Department of Human Assistance administers various federal, state, and local government programs designed to provide temporary cash aid, food assistance, and health insurance for eligible low-income Sacramento County residents.​​​

Our department offers different methods of application depending on the program. To apply for benefits online please visit the statewide online portal at If you would like to apply by phone, please call our Service Center toll-free number 1-800-560-0976 for information. To apply in person, please visit one of the DHA local offices. 

​​​ ​
​​ ​​​

Food & Nu​​​​​t​​rition​


(formerly Food Stamps) provides monthly assistance for low or no income individuals and families to buy more food, improve health and nutrition, and stretch your grocery budget​​.. ​

Learn more about CalFresh

Health Coverage​

​​Access to quality health care for every eligible child and adult is a fundamental goal of the Department of Human Assistance.​


​Medi-Cal programs provide free or low-cost health coverage for children and adults with limited income and resources.

County Medically Indigent Services Program (CMISP)

The County Medically Indigent Services Program ​ (CMISP)​ provides medically necessary care to all eligible indigents who are residents of Sacramento County. It is a program of “last resort” available to residents who do not have or are not eligible for other health care coverage. Persons who need to apply for health care coverage programs including CMISP may do so at the time they request medical services.​

Cash A​ss​istan​ce

The Department of Human Assistance administers the following Cash Aid Programs: CalWORKs, RCA, TCVAP, CAPI, GA.​

​Californi​a Work Oppo​rtunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs)

The CalWORKs Program is California's replacement of the Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) Program. Also known as Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), this program provides cash assistance for eligible families with children.

Learn more about CalWORKs

​Refugee Cash Assistance Program (RCA)​​​​

The Refugee Cash Assistance Program provides federal cash payments to refugee single adults and/or families for twelve months from the refugee's date of entry into the United States (exceptions apply). RCA follows most of the CalWORKs regulations, including those of properties and income. Unlike CalWORKs, eligibility for RCA does not require a child deprived of parental support or care to be in the home. 

Learn more about RCA​

Trafficking and Crime Victim Assistance Program (TCVAP)

​ TCVAP is a cash assistance program for non-citizen victims of crime who are in need of immediate services, and who are obtaining a legal humanitarian status or assisting in the prosecution of a crime. This includes victims of human trafficking who have not yet been certified by the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR), victims of domestic violence, and other serious crimes.

Learn more about TCVAP

​Cash Assistance Program for Immigrant (CAPI)

CAPI is a state-funded program for aged, blind and disabled legal immigrants who are ineligible for SSI/SSP ​solely due to their immigration status. ​

Learn more about CAPI

​General Assistance

GA is a loan program designed to provide short-term assistance to indigent adults who are at least eighteen (18) years of age, unemployed or verified unemployable and who have no other means of support.

Learn more about GA

Refugees, Immigrant​s and Asylees

DHA provides healthcare, food and financial assistance, employment and training, and other services to immigrants of different groups such as refugees, asylees, Cuban/Haitian entrants, certain humanitarian parolees, Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) holders, Amerasians, noncitizen victims of human trafficking, domestic violence, and other serious crimes, and others. For information call our Service Center at 1-800-560-0976 or visit DHA offices. ​ ​

Foster Care

The Foster Care (FC) Program provides cash and Medi-Cal​ ​benefits for providers of out-of-home care for children placed into foster care by Sacramento County Child Protective Services (CPS) or the Probation Department.

Electronic Benefit Transfer​ (EBT)

Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) is a benefit issuance system that allows you to get your CalFresh or cash benefits using a debit-type card. EBT replaces paper checks and CalFresh so no more lost or stolen benefits. You do not need a bank account to use EBT.

Learn more about EBT

​EBT Restaurant Meals Program

The Sacramento County Department of Human Assistance (DHA) implemented the EBT Restaurant Meals Program on May 1, 2006. With this program, elderly, disabled, homeless people, and other recipients who get CalFresh benefits in Sacramento County, are able to purchase prepared hot meals in addition to making their grocery store purchases using their Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card.

Restaurant Meals Fact Sheet |  

Poster |Approved Re staurant List | Approved Restaurant Lis t (Spanish) |

Map of Approved Restaurants



Supportive ​Ser​vices​​​​​

​Welfare-to-Work (WTW)

The Welfare-to-Work program helps individuals facing hardships and unemployment to become self-sufficient. Through this program, CalWORKs beneficiaries receive essential tools and training needed to integrate into the workforce and attain financial independence. We work with participants to identify and resolve barriers to employment.

Learn more about WTW

​Childcare Services

CalWORKs provides cash aid and subsidized child care services to eligible families who are participating in the Welfare-to-Work program. The purpose of the Child Care program is to support parents as they transition to stable, long-term child care necessary for their family to leave and remain off aid.

More information is available at the Childcare Services site.

Veterans Services

DHA Veterans Services can assist you with the following:

Available benefits are primarily from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), but we also assist in obtaining earned veterans' benefits from the State of California and local government entities.

Veterans Services is also responsible for administering the College Fee Waiver Program for Veterans' Dependents. This program is afforded to spouses, unmarried surviving spouses, and children of service-connected disabled or service related deceased veterans. Eligible dependents are not required to pay "mandatory system wide" tuition and fees while attending either a California community college, a campus of the California State University (Cal State) system, or a campus of the University of California (UC) system. This program not only provides eligible dependents with the incentive, but also the opportunity to pursue their goals.

  • Service-Connected Disability Compensation Benefits
  • Non Service-Connected Disability Pension Benefits
  • Dependency Indemnity Compensation (DIC) Benefits
  • Death Pension Benefits
  • Aid & Attendance Entitlement
  • VA Medical Care Eligibility & Access
  • Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits
  • California College Fee Waiver Program
  • VA Life Insurance
  • State Veterans Homes
  • Requests for Military Records
  • Discharge Upgrade Information
  • Burial Benefits
  • Other Ancillary Benefits & Programs

    Check out our new Veterans Services Publication!

    Veteran's Services is Here to Help

    Contact us:
    Monday through Thursday:
    8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

    8 a.m. to 2  p.m.

    We have moved to 3970 Research Drive.    email

    For additional locations and hours, please call 916-874-6811

​​Other Servi​ces ​

​CalWORKs Wellness Team

The Sacramento County CalWORKs Wellness Team provides counseling services to help break down barriers to employment for CalWORKs eligible customers. Services include:

  • Confidential assessment and treatment of mental health and substance abuse needs.
  • Authorization and referral to intensive alcohol and drug treatment if needed.
  • Referrals for medication evaluation and support if needed.
  • ​ Linkage to resources and tools to assist you in your recovery. To access services, call the CalWORKs Wellness Team referral line at (916) 875-3309 or request a referral from Department of Human Assistance staff.​

Substance Use Preventio​n and Treatment Services

Sacramento County Substance Use Prevention and Treatment Services  offers a variety of substance use disorder services to CalWORKs eligible beneficiaries. These services include outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient treatment, withdrawal management (detoxification), residential treatment and transitional/sober living environments. To find out more about Substance Use Prevention and Treatment Services call (916) 874-9754.​

Transitional Housing

Laverne Adolfo Housing Programs for Former Foster Youth

The Adolfo program provides transitional housing and supportive services to former foster youth in the age range of 18 years and up to the 24th birthday for Transitional Housing and through 24 years for Permanent Supportive Housing.

For transitional housing information please call (916) 879-1784 and for permanent supportive housing information, please call (916) 453-2900.​

​DHA Offic​e Locat​ions

2700 Fulton Ave.
Sacramento, CA 95821
8-4 Mon-Fri
3960 Research Dr.
Sacrament o, CA 95838
8-4 Mon-Fri
1725 28th St
Sacramento, CA 95816
7:45-4 Mon-Fri
2450 Florin Road
Sacramento, CA 95822
8-4 Mon-Fri
210 N. Lincoln Way
Galt, CA 95632
 8-4 Mon-Fri
5747 Watt Ave.
N. Highlands, CA 95660
8-4 Mon-Fri

​​​​​ ​
> CalFresh
> CalWORKs
> ChildCare
> General Assistance
> Health Coverage
> Informational Videos
> Veterans